Thursday, October 2, 2014

Homemade Energy Bites

I make up a batch of these up once a month or so and keep them in the freezer.  They make a great snack when I am craving something sweet.  We like to eat them right out of the freezer!  If you're a calorie counter you're probably gasping, but these aren't meant to be eaten in mass quantities - one here or there as a treat is fine. Not the greatest picture, check out this post to see better ones.


Homemade Energy Bites

2 cups oatmeal1 cup peanut butter or other nut butter2/3 cup honey1 cup coconut flakes1 cup wheat germ1 cup ground flaxseed1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate2 teaspoons vanilla
Mix all ingredients together. Roll into balls.
*My Notes:  I used Ghiradelli 85% dark chocolate.  I keep the big bars on hand and just break off pieces as I need them.  
To freeze: Place balls on a cookie sheet and freeze for one to two hours. Remove from cookie sheet and place in an airtight ziptop freezer bag (or other airtight container).
To serve:Remove desired number of balls and thaw at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes. Can also warm for 30 seconds or so in the microwave. Or, you can be impatient like me and eat them straight from the freezer. :)
Makes around 3 dozen energy bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment